From:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 05:51:58 -0800
After you register, they will send you a welcome kit that includes a coach's handbook and a nifty pin :).  The Coach's handbook is spot ON in scheduling and can provide a sign of relief in trying figure out what you're suppose to be doing when. That usually arrives in late May or early June.
    If you're able to keep up with it the first year, you'll be on the ball. Our first year, we weren't able to keep up with their schedule because of design and robotic programming set backs, so failing to be super at all parts, the kids focused more on one part than the other 3; competed, learned a ton, had a great time, and came away with a renewed vigor for the following season.

     The challenge is "seniors", and there are no other focuses of research except that broad topic.  The kids will have to research and  brainstorm an idea that they invent, improve, or re-purpose to help and aid seniors in their lives.  Know that you do not have to physically invent the product, you just have to conceive of the idea. (The first year, when my team won the regional research award, they "invented" a  mutated gene therapy concept for a prenatal condition.)  However, as you make it higher and higher up the tournament circuit, the products actually invented receive preference. But don't focus on that.  You can start on the researching/brainstorming and team work exercises today if you feel like it. :)   I actually felt like it helped us a great deal our second season to have spent less time on the research, which was already 3/4 done by the time season started.

Regards,

Brandy