From:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 15:25:39 -0500
Just to make things clear, it is the top 40% of all *teams* participating
in the Robot Game, not the top 40% of the scores. Sometimes people get
confused over that nuance.

http://firstlegoleague.org/event/judgingfaq

*Q: How is the Champion’s Award determined?  Are certain weights used?*
**
*A:* FLL’s Champion’s Award recognizes a team that “embodies the FLL
experience, by fully embracing our Core Values while achieving excellence
and innovation in both the Robot Game and Project.”
At an official event judges will look for balanced, strong performance
across all 3 areas; this means that all three judged sessions (Core Values,
Robot Design, and Project) are weighted equally to determine the initial
group of Champion’s candidates.  All candidates must also meet the
following requirements:

   - Robot: The team must score in the top 40% of all teams participating
   in the Robot Game at the event.
   - Project: The team must complete all parts of the Project, including
   the identification of a real world problem related to the Challenge theme,
   creation of an innovative solution and sharing their research and solution
   with others, as well as any other season-specific requirements that may
   exist.
   - Core Values: The team must adhere to all Core Values throughout the
   event and the season.

All candidate teams are then reviewed during a deliberative process that
considers Robot Performance placement and other qualitative factors.  Final
determination of the award winner(s) is based on a vote of the full judging
panel.*
*