From:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2014 16:54:43 -0500
Kelly,

Thanks for asking this question. This gives me an opportunity to tell a bit
of a story.

First of all, my answer: *Yes, your robot can make all of the sounds it
wants.*

The answer to your question comes from Rule #2, bullet #2:
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites/default/files/Challenge/FLL_WORLD_CLASS/FLL-WORLD-CLASS-Challenge-FINAL-v2.pdf

*2 - Interpretation *- Robot game text means exactly and only what it says,
so take it literally whenever possible.

   - Do not interpret text based on your assumption about intent, or on how
   a situation might be in "real life."
   - If a detail isn’t mentioned, then it doesn’t matter.
   - There are no hidden requirements or restrictions. If you’ve read
   everything, then you know everything.

There is no mention of sound from the robot anywhere in the rules, so "it
does not matter".

Now the story. I was at a FIRST LEGO League tournament where at team from
the Maryland School for the Blind was participating. The students were, for
the most part, not completely blind, but had significant visual handicaps
that it made it extremely difficult for the team to read the robot screen
during the competion. They overcame this obstacle by programming the robot
to give it sounds in various stages of the robot programming. When their
team came up to the competition tables, we turned down the music and
requested that the teams and audience keep the noise down for that match to
enable the team to hear the robot. It was a great experience for both the
team and those that saw them compete.

Best of luck for your team this season!

Bill