From:
Charles Aldridge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Aldridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:43:48 -0400
Laura,

The judges will be evaluating your team based on the Project Rubric
contained on pages 102 and 103 of the Coaches' Handbook.  The rubric
contains 4 categories including Creative Presentation.  Reading from note
cards is not disallowed but would likely be judged as "Needs Improvement" or
perhaps, "Fair".  Imagine yourself as a judge and ask yourself which box you
would check if you had to evaluate your own team.  It is subjective but I
would be scrutinizing the text of the rubric for "Lacks excitement or
creativity", "Many errors or not well rehearsed", "No visual aids or support
material", and "Team members ideas were not integrated".  If your skit was
performed as a TV news report you can imagine that using note cards might
appear more natural.  If it is a quiz show format (Jeopardy is pretty
popular) the host can read from note cards and the category prompts help the
kids remember their lines.  Also, in the event the 'contestant responds
incorrectly/forgets lines, etc., the text beneath the category cards makes
it clear to the judges what information the 'contestant' was trying to
convey.  I offer these examples to illustrate that teams enjoy great
flexibility in how they conduct their presentation.

Charlie Aldridge