From:
John Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:09:45 -0400
I share these opinions. Last year we decided that the coaches would not
enter the room with the kids during the design, research, and teamwork
presentations. Nor did we have a parent video tape these events. We
wanted to reinforce the notion that the kids were the team and their
performance was theirs alone. I'll tell you it was tough to sit outside
and wonder how it was going. It was also tough since we weren't able to
provide feedback to the team members for things that coaches should be
doing, such as "Make sure you speak up when you talk." and "Even if you
don't agree with what he was saying, a gracious professional doesn't
roll their eyes." Overall, I would say it worked for our team. However,
we received very little in the way of feedback from any of the judges
that the kids could identify with.

I appreciate that it is a long day for the judges and it's often hard to
find volunteers to do the judging in the first place. I like the idea of
presenting them with a form that can be easily completed for each team
that gives the team feedback. It would not have to be fancy and could be
primarily a set of check boxes that highlights the elements that worked
well and what needed to be improved. The project rubric provides an
excellent starting point for such a form.

I'm willing to take a stab at creating a feedback form if the collective
wisdom felt it would be useful (and would be used).

Sincerely,
John

--

John J. Barrett