From:
David Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:19:43 -0500
"shouldn't a team be praised for being creative? "
Absolutely!  It sounds like they considered using the touch sensor but
then came up with the "delay" solution because of time constraints.  So
I applaud them for being innovative on their own.

Let me share with you another solution which has been made available
here on the listserv was well as other publicly available sites.
Combining missions is often done with a switch block with the "Sensor"
property set to "NXT-buttons sensor".   The kids can then put their 1st
mission on the switch statement's  top beam which ,say, corresponds to a
left button press.    On the switch statement's bottom beam, one can
nest another switch statement that includes the 2nd mission to kick off
upon pressing the  right-button.
Don't forget to rap the whole program in and infinite loop because the
program needs to keep checking for a left or right button press.

Feel free to introduce this to your team at your discretion ( maybe next
season if time does not permit).  I would recommend doing it as an
exercise completely out of the context of the challenge and to use
leading questions to have the kids incrementally build a solution.

If others have seen alternative solutions please feel free to share....

Cheers
David ( VADCFLL Education Director)  Levy