From:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:27:07 -0400
The answer to this situation is found in the Robot Game - Field Setup
instructions, specifically in step 3 on page 8.
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites/default/files/Challenge/FLL_WORLD_CLASS/FLL-WORLD-CLASS-Challenge-FINAL-v2.pdf

Remember that all of the tournament tables will all be setup with these
specific instructions. I highly encourage your team (not just you) to:
1) Read all of the FLL-provided instructions and become familiar with them
2) Read and understand all of the robot game updates
3) Set your field *exactly* as described and follow all of the instructions
as provided by FIRST

*Field Mat Placement*
Step 1 - Vacuum the table top. Even the tiniest particle under the mat can
give the robot trouble. After vacuuming, run your
hand over the surface and sand or file down any protruding imperfections
you find. Then vacuum again.

Step 2 - On the vacuumed surface (never unroll the mat in an area where it
could pick up particles), unroll the mat so the
image is up and its north edge is near the north/double border wall (note
the location of the double wall in each table sketch
below). BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT LET THE MAT KINK (BEND IN TWO DIRECTIONS AT
ONCE).

Step 3 - *The mat is smaller than the playing surface by design. Slide and
align it so that there is no gap between the south*
*edge of the mat and the south border wall. Center the mat in the east-west
direction (look for equal gaps at left and right).*

Step 4 - With help from others, pull the mat at opposite ends and massage
out any waviness away from the center and re-
check the requirement of Step 3. It is expected that some waviness will
persist, but that should relax over time. Some teams
use a hair dryer to speed the relaxation of the waviness.

Step 5 - OPTIONAL – To hold the mat in place, you may use a thin strip of
black tape at the east and west ends. Where
the tape sticks to the mat, it may cover the mat’s black border only. Where
the tape sticks to the table, it may stick to the
horizontal surface only, and not the walls.

Step 6 - For a competition setup, dummy walls are not needed. Secure two
tables north-to-north. The total span of border
between two tables must measure between 3" (76mm) and 4" (100mm).