From:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:18:33 -0500
A common misunderstanding regarding the EV3 gyro sensor is that it has to
be stationary (not moving at all) while the sensor is calibrating itself.
If your robot is turned on and the robot is not stationary, the gyro sensor
will calibrate itself incorrectly resulting in incorrect gyro readings.
There are three different ways that I know to calibrate the sensor: unplug
it and plug it back in, power the controller off and back on (takes
significant time and is not recommended for match resets) and finally
switch the mode of the sensor via a program. The following link provides an
example of how to do it the last way:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.legoengineering.com_light-2Dand-2Dgryo-2Dsensor-2Dcalibration_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=k6Oa5GxfBPFMgGjb2r5QIoEOeBZs9xbNIpA0kLw_kFQ&m=S4z85WZmKn1xNv7s5Qu19V9y51kGbh1QRGiSZNXTFIU&s=B-C3OTh4j6fFv_s7qaXmvvcO6UiUuo-v6dTV6Rl6fZg&e=

It is absolutely essential that the sensor is *completely stationary *when
it calibrates itself before it is used. When, how and how often is up to
the team to decide (along with the decision to even use the gyro sensor at
all).

Have fun!

Bill