From:
Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:56:44 -0400
Greetings,

Just a quick reminder that the GMU workshop and clinics (for coaches and team members) is tonight 6-8PM at the Johnson Center Room E&F on the 3rd Floor.

In addition to the availability of our FLL organizer, judge, and referee experts, we are excited to confirmed our three subject expert speakers from NIH and GMU for tonight:

Dr. Joseph J. Pancrazio, Bioengineering Program Director, GMU -

Dr. Grace C.Y. Peng, Program Director, Discovery Science & Technology Div. at the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, NIH –

Dr. John W. Haller, Program Director, Applied Science & Technology Div. at the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, NIH –

It will be a great opportunity for the team (kids) to interview experts and ask questions for their research project on Biomedical Engineering.  We will also have video and demonstration of past competitions from several teams in the northern Virginia area as well.

In addition, we will have a Lego Swap for the kids.  There will be a box full of Lego pieces where the kids can swap their pieces for other pieces – “One go in – one come out!”

With the rush hour, traffics will be very bad around Fairfax and GMU at 6PM so give yourself plenty of time to park and find the Johnson Center!  An updated workshop agenda is below.

Cheers!

T. (Curt) Tran

Judges Advisor, TJHSST Regional ’09

Mentor Team #5390, Kilmer-I ’09

Mentor Team #8941, Kilmer-II ’09

Coach Team #324, Scitobor ’08

Coach Team #3563, Rabid Llama Lords ’07

Revised Workshop Agenda - Room E, 3rd Floor - Johnson Center, 6:00-8:00 PM

Moderator - Wendi Manuel-Scott, PhD -Associate Professor of History, GMU

Video - Get in Game and "FIRST Volunteers: Gracious Professionals" or Capturing the Excitement of VADC FLL2006 State Tournament"

Topic

1.	Bioengineering Research and Academics at GMU - Joseph J. Pancrazio, PhD, Bioengineering Program Director
2.	Discovery Science & Technology at the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, NIH – Grace C.Y. Peng, PhD, Program Director
3.	Applied Science & Technology at the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, NIH – John W. Haller, PhD, Program Director
4.	Jr. FLL and WeDo™  Kit demo - Denise Lewis, FIRST Assistant Regional Director, DC
5.	Body Forward Robot Game & Rules Scoring  - Steve Scherr, VA/DC Referee Advisor
6.	ABCDE's of Coaching and Project Research Strategy - Desh Deshmukh, Chantilly/Rocky Run and TJHSST Tournament Director '09
7.	What to expect at the tournament and Judging - Curt Tran,  Judges Advisor, TJHSST Regional '09
8.	Robot Design and Performance Tricks - INVITED

              Ashburn Robotics - 2009 State finalist & Reston Qualifier Champion

              Team Vector 67 -  2009 State Champions

Question and Answers.

Clinics - Room F, 3rd Floor - Johnson Center – 6:00-8:00 PM

1.	Biomedical Engineering Experts from NIH and GMU
2.	Robot Design and NXT Programming - 2009 SMART Move - FLL Veterans - Fairfax and Thomas Jefferson
3.	Demo's and Team Exhibits - Girls in Robotics, Ashburn Robotics
4.	Video of past FLL Research Projects and Competitions
5.	Lego pieces swap

Address:

Johnson Center,

4400 University Drive,
Fairfax, Virginia 22030

Room E & F, 3rd Floor

Parking: Bldg 40 - Mason Pond Parking Deck.

Direction:  <http://www.gmu.edu/resources/welcome/Directions-to-GMU.html> http://www.gmu.edu/resources/welcome/Directions-to-GMU.html

Quiet Busy -  on Friday with campus activities and Rt 123 and Braddock traffic.