Sender:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:37:57 -0400
7bit
From:
Bdh612-ess <[log in to unmask]>
Lego response is indeed great, no disparage of their performance was intended, but the OP needs to evaluate which is the greater advantage to his team, the new hardware we haven't seen yet or the flexibility of redundancy.

If there is a parts issue with any of the electrical parts, the robot sits in a partially disassembled state while awaiting the replacement - its an unlikely scenario, but one that good engineering practice considers as part of the decision process. The OP may well decide to take the risk - Our team did just that initially.

I've seen pictures of the new programming interface and while its pretty similar to the old one and is still based on labview, there are differences. I hope they're improvements, but we won't know what impact it'll have until people start receiving their kits in August.

All that said, the new features are pretty exciting, I'm working really hard to be able to use it ourselves and also to acquire an additional base set for the redundancy, but I do so with a little trepidation that we will waste some valuable time in the first weeks after the challenge is released incorporating the unfamiliar technology.

Brandy mentioned the memory issues with the now fairly old NXT, but the additional processing speed of the new brick is also not insignificant - it should be able steer more accurately and I know from the videos that it can react fast enough to balance on two wheels. Maybe it'll even be able to transition from one movement to the next with less of a gap (although that may be limited in how long it take to know that the motors have stopped). I also think that the new gyro sensor could be a total game changer for some designs (if they allow its use) and the ball wheel should significantly reduce the thought that goes into the third leg of the robot. I've also heard rumor that we'll be able to use a fourth motor this year, but not from an authoritative source, so I'm not holding my breath.

For our team, we're trying to go with the EV-3 solution, but we don't have to actually make that decision until we have the kit. For the OP's team and any other team that can only get hold of one set of hardware this year, I think the situation is a little more complex- it'd be like a rookie team again.

Even with all the additional features of the EV-3, it's not going to win or lose tournaments for anyone - it does help, but it not the only factor by far.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone