From:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2012 05:41:32 -0800
I whole heartily agree with this. We even practice core values this way, with the kids walking into the room we're practicing in by saying each name and either shaking my hand or waving to me.   I act as the judge would by giving the task and watching them perform it. I ask questions to the team about how they liked the challenge, what was the hardest part, what helped them work well together, etc. This introspection is important for them to improve their team building skills and see their fellow teammates as contributing members in challenges.  It also helps them recognize their team mate's strengths, so when a problem needs to be addressed- in the robot game, skit, whatever- they know who to turn to.

     In research, get them to practice who is answering what important questions- you will always get asked about from where your sources came (they are ideally looking for 4 or more), with whom you shared your skit (ideally 3 or more) and from where your ideas came (ideally several sources).  These are not evident in the skit, and they will be asked for judging purposes after their presentation.  My team is older, and they chose to say one a piece.  I loved how it looked! With each child saying the source they contributed most to, it definitely helped the judge see how much of a team effort it was.

      I stress that to the team during the practice questions that at that moment, it is all about the presentation of information. If you do 35 hours of research but fail to let the judges know, we can not fault them for saying we lacked in sources or effort.  It's all about communicating your ideas and letting the judges see, hear and understand the effort you put into it.
Good luck teams!
Brandy