From:
Randy Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:34:17 -0400
Just a couple of comments on Batteries; some redundant but I hope some of
value:

1)  Using the AA batteries means you have to have a design that allows fast
access to the underside of the brick.  I have found this to be too much of a
time sink to the team both in design and when the power wanes.

2)  The AA battery and the rechargeable are NOT the same size/height...  if
you have a couple of robots, if you want them to be the same design, it
helps to have the same power source.

3)  There are two different rechargeable batteries.  The transformer's plug
is different.  Lego describes the batteries as gray(older) or white; the
newer battery has a much smaller plug than the older version (as I sit here
with four brand new transformers that do not fit my older bricks).

Randy Greene -- 5th year coach
Fairfield Court Elementary Eaglebots
Team #1999

P.S.  If you have more than one robot set, it helps to number both the
bricks and the sensors and motors and keep track of the combination of each
robot. A sharpie mark can be rubbed off before competition but I have found
it's good to use the same combinations of motor/sensor/brick during design.
Always check the motors and try to find pairs that rotate at the same rate
(connect them with an axle, lay them flat and turn on the juice.  If one of
the motors raises off the table, they aren't turning at the same rate.)