From:
Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:32:19 -0400
Question:  do all items brought back to base need to stay in base for
the rest of the match?
Answer:  No, for several reasons.
Most important:  Rule 23, Scoring:  "With rare exception, your score
is assessed based on the conditions at the exact time the match ends
only."  So, the positions of the mission models and other objects
during the middle of the match are (generally) not important for
scoring.

Are there any missions or rules that state that object XYZ must stay
in Base?  No, so by Rule 3, Interpretation, bullet 3:  "If a detail
isn’t mentioned, then it doesn’t matter."  [However, do see the
comment below about the yellow bacteria.]

As for crowding in Base, Rule 15, Storage and Workspace, tells us that
the team may move objects out of the way, and even off the table to a
box, in order to make room to work.  Rule 8, bullet 3 confirms that
"Anything in the team’s possession is understood to count as being in
Base, and is okay to store or handle," so it's okay to bring objects
in the team's possession  from off the table back into Base as part of
setup or staging for the robot.

However, be aware that there will be clear guidance for VA/DC
tournaments that the yellow bacteria will be required to stay on the
table and not be moved to a box.  (I am not saying this officially
yet, but I will during October.)  [This is because of their role as
touch penalty objects, and is consistent with Rule 15, bullet 3.]

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor