From:
B Bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B Bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2012 22:54:40 -0400
"Two sides of the same coin" advice:
When in doubt *go*. Especially if you will have the same team next year, or
some of the same members for the next year's team! Going to the tournament
teaches you stuff you will only understand once you have gone!  It's kind
of amazing.  So from that standpoint, going as rookie coach will really
help you coach your team better next year.

That said, I had two teams last year. One team, from a private school, just
didn't have their heart into it. They wouldn't do any research (that they
talked about looking up and researching. Never, ever, happened). They
wouldn't stay after to program the bot & wouldn't show up on Saturdays to
make up any time. They were all too busy they said.  We had 1 hour a week,
and despite promises from another teacher to step in and help, I was asked
to coach a team and teach basic programming to another set of kids at the
same time! I ended spending most of my time with the team, and we tried
focusing on the skit. We went to tournament, but instead of having fun, the
kids felt completely defeated, realized they had not done the diligence it
took to create a team, and hated every bloody minute of it.

In contrast to that, on my son's first year team, we had several major
design changes in the robot and so essentially ended up with just two weeks
to program the robot runs.  We used move blocks for every one of our
missions and had only one attachment.  They definitely had fun and were
excited about what they had done.
  It was a contrast to the my private school team who weren't into the
competition and weren't having fun.
If you're only avoiding it because you feel unprepared, I say go. If you
are considering missing it because your kids don't seem to care about FLL,
the robot, or the programing, then skip it. But make sure those are
*their*feelings
*.* I think my one private school team would have better served to not go
to tournament, but my son's team has never had a season where it would have
been better to sit at home that day.  Every year has been growing
experience that only encourages them to love FLL and the gracious
professionalism spirit they promote.
  Best of luck figuring out what's the right move. You only have a few
hours.
Brandy