From:
Robert Haskins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Haskins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:37:27 -0500
The conception that the FLL is just about the robot and missions is a
common problem among new team members and their parents,  It's not,
and it has been designed that way. In my first few tournaments, it did
seem like the high scoring teams on the missions always won the
tournament. However, it doesn't always turn out that way. The best
teams overall do seem to advance, just as it should be. If you go to
enough competitions, you will eventually see that the focus really is
not totally on the missions but on who does best overall. (I've just
completed my 5th year of coaching.)

I've gotten to the point that I state clearly and concisely to parents
of new members that not everyone gets "table time" -- only those kids
who show the focus and patience to work with the missions get to work
on the missions. It's a hard thing, especially where you have just one
coach and they have to play both good cop and bad cop. It's even
harder when you have a returning team member that just can't focus on
the missions but who really wants to work on them.

What I think is so great about the FLL program is that it incorporates
all the different facets of business life (teamwork, research,
engineering, operations, etc.) into one "program". I can't think of a
better activity to prepare kids for what they will experience in the
real world than FLL.