From:
Laura Dysart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dysart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 20:20:31 -0400
I am the one with the kid on my team who had a super sci-fi idea- we
found enough issues that it just isn't going to be possible. Our team
is interested in pursuing a problem- the initial info was given by a
biomedical engineer at VCU who came to speak to the kids- problem is
people die or get very sick in hospitals due to a secondary infection
from staff non-compliance in hand- washing (seems small, but causes
death and illness). Kids have researched the impact of this already.
System: immune, problem people get seriously ill and die
unnecessarily. Some devices are in the works- if our kids came up with
a "unique" ability to warn staff they have not washed their hands (the
assumption being health care professionals by profession don't want to
hurt patients by not washing their hands- they just get busy and
forget.... one of our team members was concerned that this would not
actually be considered bio- medical engineering- although a bio
medical engineer expressed it as one of the more important issues in
the field.  Does anyone have any clue if this would not be considered
bio-med engineering for any reason? or is their a higher authority
source we could check in with so we don't waste time.  laura Dysart:)