Sender:
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:33:27 -0400
From:
Anant Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
To: Heather Dyson <[log in to unmask]>, Eric Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Heather:

Eric is technically correct, but you need to be prepared for missing inch
markers (the hash marks) at your competition location.  Several competition
locations have used black (electrical) tape to hold the mat down at both
ends (this used to be bigger problem in past years when the mat was
curlier).  In our observation, this tape has not always been applied to the
quarter-inch outside margins of the mat, and on numerous occasions, has
obscured the inch markers partly or completely.  The safe strategy would be
to have Lego rulers (legal!) handy if this is a problem at your competition
location.

Also, some competition tables have been warped or uneven, due to age or
exposure to humidity.  The bottom line is that we all need to be prepared
for imperfect conditions, whether our rover is on Earth, Mars or the FLL.

We also need to keep in mind that each team is paying just $75 for the
regional tournaments.  This has to pay for facility rental fees (at some
locations, especially in Northern Virginia), and cover all costs or running
a daylong competition at 20 locations.  You can do the math given that we
have about 400 teams in the VA-DC region.  Our hats off to VA-DC FLL for
managing on such a shoestring budget.  Some of us would gladly pay more for
better testing conditions, but that is a subject for another day!

Nari Narayanan

Anant S Narayanan
McLean Robotics Institute
McLean VA 22102