From:
Stuart & Lori Roll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stuart & Lori Roll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:31:35 -0400
The procedure differs slightly depending on whether you bought your brick
from the LEGO company (e.g., a LEGO retail store or lego.com) or from LEGO
Education.

If you have a LEGO Education brick, you follow the instructions below.  You
ship it to them and they ship you a new one very quickly (the whole
turnaround takes a week or so).

If you bought a retail brick, you still call the number below!  It turns out
that LEGO Education handles the retail replacement for the retail arm, but
the procedures are different.  They send you a prepaid mailer and go ahead
and ship you a new brick - from Denmark.  Yes, it takes a couple of weeks to
get the new brick but you can hold on to the old one until it comes in and
then you can send the old one to them in the mailer provided.

So LEGO Education is faster but you pay outgoing postage and have no brick
for a week or so, while with LEGO retail you pay no postage, you get to keep
your (potentially partially functioning) brick while waiting, but you have
to wait longer.

<Spoken as one who has done this a half-dozen times already!>

Stuart