Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:16:50 -0400
Dear Jared,

Please take the time to carefully and completely read the Rules and
Missions documents supplied by FIRST. You and your team members
should know those rules, because they tell what you must and cannot
do.

Velcro is not a LEGO product, and therefore cannot be used anywhere,
on the field or on the robot. The velcro-like material that comes
with the field kit is to be placed at the X marks, for holding models
down. The tables used in competition will be constructed according to
the instructions you received, so you should follow those
instructions closely so that your team practices on the same kind of
table they will compete on.

The "touch penalty" is described in the Rules and Missions documents.
In short, they lose a penalty piece (one of the standing-up
cylinders) for touching the robot outside of Base. Be sure they
understand when they may and may not touch the robot in order to
avoid penalties.

Best of luck!
Mike