Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:01:40 -0400
From:
Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
To: Joseph Trombo <[log in to unmask]> cc: VADCFLL-L <[log in to unmask]>
I'll let the VA-DC FLL referees give an official decision on this, but it
is pretty clear to me with the existing rules what would be junk and what
would not be junk. The key to the interpretation are the words "you bring"
in the definition of equipment in rule D03. Since the junk penalty is only
for "equipment" and equipment is what "you bring" and you are not allowed
to bring models to the field. If you follow all of the logic, then the
models (airplane toys, methane, etc.) are NOT subject to a junk penalty
since they are not "equipment". Only equipment, *that which you brought to
the match*, is subject to the junk penalty.

*D09 – Penalties *– A “Penalty” is a deduction from your final score due to
a specific action that is allowed but discouraged.

Penalty values are found in the Missions. There are two types of Penalty:

● Interruption Penalty – Caused by you Interrupting the Robot while it’s
not completely in Safety.

● Junk Penalty – Caused…

*     • *immediately – by each piece of *equipment* the Robot strands
partly in Safety.

*     • *at the end of the Match – by each piece of *equipment* still
stranded completely outside Safety.

*D03 – Equipment* – “Equipment” is everything *you bring to a Match* for
Mission-related activity

*D08 - Model *– A “Model” (often called a “Mission Model”) is any LEGO
structure already at the Field when you arrive to compete. *You don’t bring
Models to the competition Field* – they’re already there when you arrive.

Hopefully I have clarified this a bit for now.

*RECOMMENDATION:* Your team members, *not* the coach, should understand the
entire challenge and all related updates. They should be able to provide a
logical explanation to any referee who might make a mistake with respect to
applying junk penalties. See rule number R18.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.firstlegoleague.org_sites_default_files_Challenge_TRASH-2DTREK_TRASH-2DTREK-2DChallenge.pdf&d=BQIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=J5fb0ELkRoh7TzAGYz99sSMvB-c7i4AC0HDT2OVPrww&m=dGzZ5UFozMDjmk9i_1eDBgLaDXiws364TCKkwctEDgY&s=COaOP9R_SJuU9m16pOznd8Lg2t6wp3XVkmVCm22V9SE&e=

*R18 – Scoring *

● Scoresheet – The Ref recalls action and inspects the Field with you,
Mission by Mission...

*• *If you agree with the Ref on all facts, you sign the sheet, and the
score is final.

*• *If you don’t agree, tell the Ref nicely. Refs can be wrong, and when
they are, they want to know. If there is any lingering disagreement, the
Head Ref makes the final decision.

Best of Luck! Have Fun!
Bill