From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:19:57 -0500
Dear Linda,

Congratulations to you and Team WNANF for making it to the State Championship!

Good observations about tournament surprises. It's typical for
first-year teams to have some surprises, especially if they didn't
get the benefit of some pre-tourney coaching from an experienced
mentor. Other surprises reflect the fact that every tournament is
somewhat different, and every pair of judges runs their sessions in a
slightly different way.

However, there are abundant materials provided to help coaches and
teams prepare for the tournament. Most of your surprises are actually
discussed in the FLL Coaches' Handbook that came with your kit. For
example, in the Tournament chapter it recommends that programs be
printed and brought to the robot judges, and says that the team will
be asked to demonstrate the robot.

Judging sessions can be overwhelming for young kids, and you're right
that it can be tricky for them to answer questions while
simultaneously demonstrating the robot. Here's where it pays to
divide up the work. For example, two kids can be tapped to introduce
the team to the judges, two kids can stand ready to demonstrate the
robot, and others can be prepared to answer questions about the robot
building and programming while that is going on. That way everyone
has something to do, and they won't trip over themselves. Older and
more experienced teams may be better able to multi-task.

Cheers,
Mike