From:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2013 08:41:33 -0700
About broken parts- Lego is super good about getting broken parts out to you fast- IF you have purchased them within a year. We had an issue during our season last year, and they sent me a replacement before I had sent them the broken one to examine (repair?).   Gotta love Lego :)

I would go with the EVO3.
The advancements that Lego has made during each total machine upgrade has been significant (NXT1.0 to 2.0 aside, where the only difference was the color sensor and some data logging that FLL teams will never use.)   FLL now allows teams to use color sensors, about 2 years after they were introduced. How many more years before they allow 4 motors during competition?   Also, a major downside to the NXT is its limited memory capacity.  My team had to change several programs to fit them all on the bot :(  My brilliant programmers were forced to set aside any knowledge of datawires to make sure we could get all the programs on the brick. Since EVO3 has more memory and an optional stick for added memory, that is unlikely to be a problem for future EVO3 teams.  So the only thing that  really bothered me about the NXT brick has been solved in their Evo3 upgrade.   Bonus, the programming is still the same. You can move from using the NXT's labview to
 EVO3's labview without any problems.   Having two bots running two versions of the software does mean that  you will have to have at least 1 machine dedicated to each version of the software.  Kids will have to know which bot they were using and stick with that one.    It seems that any program written in one version would need to be copied down on paper and then written into the other.  The NXT brick versions were backwards compatible, but not RCX to NXT. Meaning, I could download a NXT1 program to my machine with no problem, but if a 2.0 code were transferred to a NXT 1.0 labview it couldn't read it all the time- some of the time yes, but not allows.  I have no idea if the Evo3 is backwards compatible to NXT.  I truly hope so!
      Because the Evo3 appears to be a better, larger machine capable of more tricks than the NXT, and because it shares the same programming language, I would upgrade with a Evo3.
Brandy