Re: food for thought about scores

"Burke, Stephanie" <[log in to unmask]>

Burke, Stephanie

Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:40:16 -0400

One idea I think would be useful is to have the top teams demonstrate
their work at the end of the tournament during the awards ceremony.
Have the team with the top challenge score re-run their 2.5 min missions
when everyone can watch it.  Then the team with the top
design/programming score show their robot and describe a few of their
unique features, and the team with the winning project presentation
re-run their presentation.  This way, all the teams have a chance to see
what a really good team (of kids just like them) can do, and what is
possible.  In my experience, they are so busy during the day, they have
little time to really see what the others teams did, and don't really
know which of the teams they do see are the best.  I think that most of
the teams can then see how their results compare to the best at the
competition without worrying about a specific score, and that gives them
a very good understanding of what they could work on for next year.

-----Original Message-----
From: First Lego League Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Haskins
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] food for thought about scores

Speaking as a coach, *any* feedback would be better than what we get
now, which is basically a score (with the recent discussion, per the
FLL the score means "almost nothing"). Noting the rubric with how the
team could improve on specific rubric items would be great.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Steve Scherr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> John--an alternative might be a feedback guide, helping judges
understand what types of
> feedback you and others find useful.
>
> In my experience as a judge (in another state), I made it a point
always to write some comments
> down.  Very often they were of the form "Great job on XXX!  Think
about working on YYY in the
> future."  It was hard to give more detailed feedback because of the
time constraints.  The things I
> emphasized varied based on the type of judging I was doing, of course.
>
> Would Listserv readers consider this type of feedback helpful, or do
coaches think that a variety of
> more generic but wider-sweeping areas are better?  Examples:
enthusiasm, eye contact, right
> volume, team member involvement, etc.?
>
> Steve Scherr
> Judge

administrative announcements will be distributed - visit
https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html and select "Join
or leave the list".