Sender:
From:
"William K. Ham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 20:44:34 -0400
I have been involved with Lego League robotics (Northern VA) for the past 2
years. It has been a challenging and rewarding activity for both the kids and
adults. Participation requires an intense amount of effort over a short period (8
to 10 weeks, starting Sept 1), that includes a broad set of disciplines (e.g.
project planning and resourcing, logistics, arts and crafts, theater, costume
design, engineering, math, computer science, research, public speaking,
teamwork). In my experience after the competition, the teams disperse,
without identifying and applying lessons learned. I would like to gauge interest
in putting together a robotics course that would not only build a team to
compete in the competition this year,  but would continue educational
activities until the end of the school year (May/June timeframe). No experience
would be required for participants (kids age 9 to 13), but we would attempt to
learn from our experience at the competition, and possibly employ some of the
more accessible robotic educational curricula as a foundation to higher learning
in the field. Space will be limited on the team, but we welcome your interest
and participation in the meetings to discuss the team and the robotics class for
the 2010-2011 school year. The meetings and class will be in the Reston area,
but we welcome participation from all.

I will be hosting an open house with informational sessions on the following
days:

July 27th - 7:30pm to 9pm - Herndon Fortnightly Library room 1/2
July 31st - 4pm to 5pm - Reston Regional Library room 2

Please fill out the survey below to reserve your spot at one of the informational
sessions.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V56MC2J

Look forward to meeting with you,
Kevin Ham