Sender:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:22:55 -0500
From:
Bdh612-ess <[log in to unmask]>
To: Rick & Susan Steenrod <[log in to unmask]>
Volunteering is a great way to get ideas, get a better understanding of what is expected at the tournaments from the officials side, and get an understanding of the selection process. And its fun. I recommend it.

There would only be a conflict if you were scoring or judging your own event in your own division, which they do not allow. Each tournament is stand alone and has no bearing on any other tournament. I suppose, in theory, that someone could try and influence the judging at a local in order to send less deserving teams to state's so as to reduce competition there, but in reality the stand-outs are pretty obvious, so it is unlikely that could be a problem (and even if they were not obvious, then the team sent would be comparable anyway).

Also, the locals are all within a couple weeks of each other. If volunteering provided a great insight, that's awesome, but getting that incorporated into a design and/or program in one week would indicate a well positioned team anyway, so that would actually not change the outcome much.

There are no restrictions on visiting as many tournaments as you like, so volunteering does not impart an advantage there either. State's bound teams will be spending the next month upping their game, so ideas picked up now can be helpful, but impart no advantage not available to others.

What really impresses me is that a coach had the time to volunteer one week before the team's own. The team must have already been in pretty good shape.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone