From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:14:31 -0500
I'm not clear what the rules dictate for when kids replace one
another at the table in the midst of a robot match. The basic rule is
that only two are allowed at the table, that's clear enough. But for
exchanges, the new (for 2008) rule is:

"The rest of the team must stay back from the table, but close enough
for different members to tag in or out as desired at any time.
Specific positioning is decided by the head officials running each
tournament."

What does "tagging in or out" mean, exactly? In practical terms, does
one kid need to leave the table before his or her replacement
approaches the table? Or can a by-standing kid join the other two and
'tag' the one he/she is replacing? Only two kids would be active in
either instance, but the latter would actually have three bodies
inside the line for a short interval of time during the swap. Our
team is practicing their match logistics in order to shave time off
the clock, and this detail matters.

Thanks,
Mike