Jeff Schoolcraft <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Oct 2015 15:43:32 -0400
Lots of things go wrong with these robots, they’re only toys after all.

You can google for matching motors and wheels, as that’s been a known issue with NXT.  Not sure how good the EV3 production tolerances were.  There could be balance issues with the robot, e.g. more weight over the left wheels giving them more traction than the right wheels and causing a steer.

I’m not sure what code you’re referring to but with motor encoders you’re trying to zero out errors between the two motors to drive straight.  The gyro could drift or be subject to other input (vibrations?  I’m just guessing).

You can also try to “true up” your navigation as you go “squaring” to lines or walls.

Just thoughts…

--
Jeff Schoolcraft