From:
"Swayne, Nick - swaynedd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Swayne, Nick - swaynedd
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:45:01 +0000
Janice,

We get this question a lot but we don’t get in the business of matching teams/kids for a number of reasons (check out the FAQ page of the website – www.va-dcfll.org<http://www.va-dcfll.org> ).

The first thing I would do is check with your child’s school and any civic organizations you (or your child) belong to.  In most cases it doesn’t work for your child to join an FLL team hosted at another school (funding/priorities/transportation, etc) but if your school doesn’t have a team, you are the best advocate for starting one.  If you need funding to support the initial costs, let me know – there are grants available and lots of companies provide funds if you have one of their employees serving as a coach or mentor to the team.  The same thing works for homeschooler networks.

Posting on this list is a great idea – if someone is out there looking for a new team member they will contact you.  Make sure you make face-to-face contact with the coach and visit (don’t just drop your child off at some address) – and…I wouldn’t warn you about that it if hadn’t happened before.

We are working to improve coaching support resources, have more coaching workshops, and will be posting things to the website throughout the beginning of the season.

Nick