Sender:
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2018 00:10:33 -0400
From:
VA-DC FLL Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
How is a Robot like a Bicycle?

Well, a Bicycle can be made up of a bunch of different parts:  wheels,
tires, a frame, a seat, pedals, a bell, fenders, a chain, and so on.  Some
parts are always there, and some are optional; maybe your Bicycle has them,
and maybe it doesn't.  Once you put all the parts together, you have a
Bicycle.  You treat it as a single object.  You ride your bicycle.  You
don't say "I am going to ride my bicycle frame plus all the parts attached
to it."

Similarly, an FLL Robot is made up of a bunch of different parts (built
from LEGO-made pieces or possibly AA batteries in a battery pack [R01 and
R05]).  Once all those parts are combined with each other, that's what
makes up the Robot.  Your team might use a different set of parts each time
they Launch the Robot, and then the Robot would be different each time it
is Launched.

Here's what the Rules say about the Robot (D04) :

Your “Robot” is your LEGO® MINDSTORMS® controller and all the Equipment
you’ve combined with it by hand which is not intended to separate from it,
except by hand.

So, why I am telling you about bicycles, when the question was about
M04--Crater Crossing?
Let's say that your team has a really clever attachment arm that they use
for M04.  The end of the arm supports part of the weight of the arm, and
pushes down the Gate between the towers on the Craters model.
Once your team attaches that arm to the Robot (and doesn't plan to have it
fall off until they take it off), then the attachment arm is part of the
Robot.

M04 lets your team decide what to use as the "crossing equipment".  Your
team may use the Robot, or the team may use some other thing that isn't the
Robot.
If your team uses part of the Robot to cross the Craters (for example an
attached arm), then the Robot is the "crossing equipment" and the entire
Robot has to cross completely past the flattened Gate.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor