From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:33:18 -0400
Dear Nick,

I've read and re-read the Project instructions, and nowhere do I see
a requirement that the project must deal with climate CHANGE. By my
reading, it has to do with climate, period.

Changing climate is mentioned once in the Introduction, and there are
several Resources about climate change, but not in the instructions
themselves. The project has to do with climate and the problems that
it may cause to a community, and ways that communities may act to
mitigate those effects. The project may be about climate change, if
changing climate is causing problems.

Perhaps the climate is changing in your community (getting warmer, or
colder, or drier, or windier, or cloudier, or whatever), and perhaps
that change is causing problems; that's certainly true in some
communities.

But perhaps your community is simply dry, such that finding enough
clean water is a perpetual issue. Or perhaps it gets yards of snow
each winter, making it hard to drive. Or perhaps it's prone to
hurricanes. Certainly climate is a challenge to the residents of New
Orleans, or Needles, in the California desert, or Fargo, with its
deep winters. I can think of many possible research topics on
problems having to do with climate change, and many that simply have
to do with climate.

I also disagree with your interpretation that teams may not think up
ways to combat climate change. For example, a team may conclude that
CO2 emissions are causing warming and that warming is a problem in
their community. A method of reducing CO2 emissions might be argued
to reduce warming, thereby having a mitigative affect on the problem.
That, to me, is exactly "what a community is doing about" the
problem--attacking the root cause!

On a side note, it's interesting that your team has looked at climate
data and possible correlations with natural disasters. I'd think that
project judges would be impressed with this sort of analysis,
assuming that the kids did it themselves and present it clearly.

Cheers,
Mike Blanpied
Reston, VA