From:
Eric Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:07:18 -0400
The rule descriptions and mission descriptions are your firends

It is not allowed - see these rules

17 - HANDLING ALLOWED
• Before the match, and whenever else the robot is inactive, you may
handle and prepare it by hand in Base
for its next active period.
• Typical robot handling and preparation includes repairs, switching
attachments, selecting programs,
resetting features, loading/unloading cargo, and aiming.
• This work must take place in Base, but if some space right outside
Base is needed, that’s okay, just be
sure not to disturb the field in any way.
• Objects in Base are yours to store, prepare, or stage for future
interaction with the active robot. Just be
sure they’re stationary and you let go of them before the robot touches them.
• The only things you may do by hand OUTSIDE Base are:
• Stop and lift the robot, any time. Consequences: See Rule 16.
• Recover debris from accidental robot damage any time, as needed. See Rule 22.
• Calibrate light sensors (before the match start only). See Rule 9.

18 - HANDLING NOT ALLOWED
• You may not cause things to extend, leave, or be placed outside
Base, even partially, even temporarily,
except as described in Rules 19 and 21.
• You may not move or adjust anything outside Base, before, during, or
after the match.
• You may not request a field setup outside the range of specified
setups, but you may ask the ref to
double-check that a particular setup is correct/within spec.
• In the case of non-robot accidents: If your elbow, hip, clothing, or
even the ref messes something up, this
gets “undone” as fast and accurately as possible, if possible. Changes
to the field caused or allowed by the
removal of your inactive robot from the field are treated the same way.
• Objects staying on the field after any touch should be lowered to
rest as close as possible to the place and
orientation they were at the time of the touch.
19 - STORAGE
• Once the ref inspects your equipment, you may store things as needed
in Base, or in a box, either held by
one of the two people at the table, or possibly on a stand, if stands
are allowed at your event (decided by
your tournament’s officials – check with them in advance).
• In rare situations of objects crowding in Base, the ref allows you
to store them on the field away from Base,
but only if it is obvious their placement is purely for storage.
• Team members other than the two at the table may not hold equipment.
• Mission models and objects worth points in Base always need to stay
in view of the ref.
• Nothing is allowed on the floor.
21 - START PROCEDURE
• When it’s obvious to the ref that starting position is correct…
• For the first start of the match…
• The ref asks you if you’re ready, then signals your readiness to the
announcer.
• As the countdown starts, you reach in with one hand, ready to either
touch a button, or
signal a sensor, to start or resume the robot’s program.
• When you hear the sound, you start the robot. The exact time to
start is at the beginning of
the last word in the countdown, such as “Ready, set, GO!”
• If a non-word signal is used, like a beep or buzzer, the start is at
the beginning of that signal.
• For all other starts in the same match (restarts)…
• No countdown. The ref sees that start position is correct, and you
start the robot.
• You may not handle the robot, or anything it’s about to move or use,
during or after the countdown,
except for the single action needed to get the program running. If you
do, the ref has you restart.