Sender: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:12:40 +0000
From: Eric Palmer <[log in to unmask]>

My first year I had another adult that ended up trying to solve the missions for the team. Once I asked him to back up he became someone I had to manage as well. That was difficult.

This year I have a dad that is doing the project / research side and I'm doing the rest. With both work to keep the kids focused. Its is working very well. We have a high school student that helps some when its project nights. She is in Drama and she runs team exercises that she has learned from Drama. These are really fun for the kids, they help their confidence and get them working together as a team better. We chose not to have High Schoolers help with the robot or the project directly because we did not want to have to manage them or have them solving too much for us.

You might ask a parent to stay each meeting to just help the kids stay focused. Even with two parents/coaches it can be difficult. I'm firm with the kids at times and I also let them play for 15 minutes in the middle, get a snack, etc. so that they get some energy out. We usually start the meeting with a few questions that they have to stand up in front of the team to answer. That gets some of the raw energy focused.

Hope this helps

Eric P
Team 956 - The Golden Bricks