Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2015 15:20:35 +0000
From:
"Swayne, Nick - swaynedd" <[log in to unmask]>
Karoline,

FIRST has a number of programs that serve children from age 6-18 with some overlap between the programs with respect to the “lower” age limits.  Junior FLL, FLL, FTC, FRC – represent the continuum of offerings.

In Virginia, we have always divided FLL into two separate divisions (this is unique to Virginia-DC and a couple of other regions but not an official distinction established by FIRST).

Our cutoff date is January of competition year so we will base our division assignments on the age of the oldest child on the team as of January 1st, 2015.  If the oldest child was 12 or older on that date, the team will be in Division 2.  When you register your team, we ask for birthdates so that our database can assign your team to the correct division.

We don’t preclude 8 year olds from participation but there are some interesting challenges that arise from having 8 year olds and 14 year olds participating on the same team (which would be division 2).   I did it once as a coach and would not do it again, but your results may vary…

Nick