Sender:
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2016 21:17:02 -0400
From:
VA-DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
To: VADCFLL-L <[log in to unmask]>
Here's an important note to all teams:
  Please remember to check for Challenge Updates every week or so by
clicking on the "Challenge Updates" link at the Animal Allies web page,
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.firstinspires.org_resource-2Dlibrary_fll_animal-2Dallies-2Dchallenge-2Dupdates-2Dand-2Dresources&d=CwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=k6Oa5GxfBPFMgGjb2r5QIoEOeBZs9xbNIpA0kLw_kFQ&m=QtT8M5c9-J5bgCZupTGRM-HfIKy3LBb-D8NvWnYcG3s&s=x53VcUh2M4Chh-qshWR4cHwL6jpGbHFPVpARMu65HU0&e=

  As Todd noted, Robot Game Update 1 was released on the same day as the
challenge, and corrects M15, All Samples, so that the 5 points for M15 are
earned if all 7 of the manure samples are completely in the Training and
Research Area at the end of the match.

  As discussed in the Field Setup instructions, two of the disk-shaped
manure samples are setup on the field, in the East and West Manure Sample
positions.

  Of the other 10 Manure Samples, 5 start in Base, and 5 are taken by the
referee to use to show Penalties  (see the end of the Mission descriptions,
under the title "Penalties".)

Question on Points #1--movement of Manure Samples inside Base
  The only difference between practice and a competition match is that the
referee will set up the table before a competition match, with 5 Manure
Samples somewhere in Base.  Rule R10, Handling During the Match, allows the
team Technicians to touch and move objects within Base (including the
Manure samples), and Rule R12, Storage, allows those objects to be moved to
off-Field Storage.  So the team may move objects around inside Base (and
Storage) however they like.  (The rules for Launching and Interrupting
still apply, of course.)

Question on Points #2 -- scoring
  As Todd noted, the team may earn up to 35 points from M09 for the Manure
Samples, and 5 more points from M15 if all seven are in the Training and
Research Area.  And yes, the points for each mission are added up together
to create the final score.

Question on Points #3 -- penalty objects
  Correct, the team may not do anything with any of the five penalty items
(Manure Samples).  The Mission description calls them
"permanent/untouchable."

Question on Penalties #1 -- triangle
  Correct, the triangle is just a convenient, out-of-the way location for
the penalties to be shown.  By placing the Manure Sample in the triangle,
it is clear to both the team and the referee how many penalties have been
assessed.

Question on Penalties #2 -- triangle location
  No, the white triangle for penalties is far away from Base.  If you look
at page 3 of the Field Setup instructions, you can see the directions that
we use to describe the field.  In addition, there is a green and white
compass rose on the mat just above (north of) Base.  The long wall that
Base touches is the South wall, and the southeast corner is at the opposite
end of that long wall from Base, near the setup location for the Seal.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor