From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:10:05 -0500
I couldn't agree more that it's good for the judges to say a few words.

For the last three years, I've managed the judging in Ashburn/Sterling, and I always ask the judges to say something about the winners -- no, I *beg* them to -- and some still don't.  In their defense, they've had a long day, and they signed up to judge, not speak publicly.

I'm sure many of you know the old saw about the survey that found people were more afraid of public speaking than dying (which means that at a funeral, they'd rather be in the box than giving the eulogy); this proves that adage, I fear.

I've also had cases where the judges had to leave before the awards ceremony, and thus nobody was qualified to make comments (again, they're volunteers: I can't *make* 'em stay).

But I will continue to encourage them to speak, and will cite Michael's comments as a further incentive.
--
Phil Smith III
Virginia State Judge Advisor, 2007, 2008

Coach, The Capital Girls, Oak Hill (retired)
Team 1900 (2002)
Team 2497 (2003)
Team 2355 (2004)
Team 1945 (2005)