Sender:
From:
Lloyd O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:52:13 -0400
Adam,

Where are you located?  You may want to contact the High Schools in your area that have FRC and/or FTC teams to see if there are kids on those teams who would like to mentor.  Also, this listserv and the forums un the usfirst site are great places to ask questions and get answers.

I am getting back into coaching this year after a two year hiatus.  When I was helping coach a team of middle schoolers, we generally met once or twice during the week for a couple hours and once on the weekend for a couple hours.  I was working with experienced team members then and they all wanted to meet that often.  As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary".

This year I am coaching my daughter's team and they are all 4th graders.  We currently meet on Tuesday evening for two hours and we have an optional meeting time on Sundays for two hours.  It is harder keeping the focus of the 4th graders so we take a 15-30 minute break in the middle of each meeting and have snacks.  It seems to be working good for us.  I don't know if we will be completely ready come tournament time but I think they will have had fun on the journey and may actually learn something.

I hope this helps,

Lloyd O'Hara
Coach, Crestwood Monarchs