Sender:
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:31:31 -0400
From:
Jeff Beima <[log in to unmask]>
To: Lillian Sun Tadlock <[log in to unmask]>
Our team is a school-based program so our first year we only had 6 weeks
from first meeting to tournament date.  The kids' goal was simply to have a
single, cool robot mission work well and they succeeded at their goal.
They didn't have any expectations for core values or the project.  They had
a lot of fun at the tournament and were very happy without any awards.  To
everyone's surprise, they won 1st prize for the project!  Moral: Set
realistic goals and focus on doing your best -- you will be amazed what
comes out of it.

Some practical ideas:

   - Filter parent involvement to limit crossing the line.  I start nearly
   every conversation with parents with the statement "the solution is the
   kids', the kids do the work" (see Core Values bullet #2).  Its more fun for
   the kids when it really is theirs.  We expect the kids to do the work --
   let the kids enjoy the fruits of their labor!
   - Have the kids set achievable goals they can be proud of.  Give out
   your own team prizes for success (pizza party, LEGO party, etc.).  Some
   very achievable goals:
      - Attend the tournament no matter what.  This is the best reward of
      all!
      - Complete the project.
      - Share with at least one group before the tournament.  Showing off
      what they learned is a lot of fun (especially with friends and
classmates)!
      - Set a number of working missions or number of points scored at the
      tournament.
      - Have a mission working using a sensor (versus just dead reckoning).
      - Be proud of your Core Values poster.
   - Give out certificates to all the kids using official looking FLL
   participation certificates.
      - See the template on the website:
      http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/marketing-tools/fll/2013-natures-fury-challenge-logo-and-poster
   - Create unique fun prizes or fun paper plate awards for every kid.
      - Most creative use of a sensor.
      - Most creative robot attachment not used in the tournament.
      - Incredible time-keeping.
      - Best display of GP.
      - Best actor/actress in a supporting role.
      - To appease your NoVA parents, try:
      - Have parents attend the tournament as spectators -- they will be
      impressed.
      - Make sure your historian at the tournament shares their videos and
      don't zoom in on just their kid (recall the camera commercial).
      - Have the kids re-enact the judging sessions after the tournament
      (not during please).
      - Have the parents try a Core Values challenge themselves!

Have fun!

Jeff Beima
Coach, Terra-Techno Tigers, FLL #9403