From:
Jeff Schoolcraft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Schoolcraft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2014 07:04:17 -0400
Nick,

That’d be awesome.

The Landroids original table or, Republic of Pi’s modification of the Landroids table would definitely get my support.

Landroids Table: http://www.landroids.org/Landroids_FLL_Table_120811.pdf
Republic of Pi’s modification/version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbbpkCmQAw

Cost is about $200 and takes a weekend to build assuming you have access to a fair range of woodworking tools and techniques.

I feel I have to mention the VEX IQ field (http://www.vexrobotics.com/vexiq/products/228-2550.html).  It’s a $200 snap together plastic field consisting of 32 1’x1’ square tiles, and walls (3” tall but the width is wrong).  It’s light weight, easier to store than the current 4’x8’ beast of an FLL table and at the same cost minus the labor for the hollow core door solutions mentioned above it seems like an easy choice for me.  One less thing to get in the way of the kids actually getting on with the challenge (finding storage, or skills to build a proper FLL table now).

Jeff Schoolcraft