From:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brandy bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:10:13 -0800

>Don’t worry about it – they can’t plan for it or practice for it.
I respectfully disagree.  The core value area is one where the kids gain insight into how they can best communicate with each other and work together with the upmost respect.  I do think kids (and some adults) have a lot to be taught, or practiced is probably the better word, in this area.   You can practice this event by given them any simple to complex tasks that attempt to solve in 5 minutes.
Here's a page that can give you some ideas-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2z83j/ic/id1.html
You have to download the challenges, but they are virus free and chuck full of great challenges to try with your team.
The most important part to remember is that the challenge itself doens't matter, it's how they worked together.  Debrief your team after each exercise-
Was there a clear leader in the group? (let them know it's fine to have a leader, some kids strength will rise to the top when they feel they can excel at a challenge, but all team members should feel heard and respected.)
Did everyone feel they had a part to play in the challenge?
Did anyone feel they contributed to the solution?  If not, how can help our teammates feel free to speak up? Or how can you help your teammates hear your ideas?
What would you do differently if you could do it again?

We practice productive communication- no blaming or focusing on the negative. Everything is phrased as a positive as much as possible.  You don't have to do many of these before your team starts to get a little better at talking to each other and making sure everyone feels involved.  My kids practice different jobs- one person is the time keeper of the activity, one person is the rule keeper- (what was the task at hand?), one person is the idea elicitor- they need to make sure everyone spoke up about their idea, or ask, "does any one have any other ideas?" Before the group proceeds to the creation of the task, and each person is responsible for sharing or thanking another team member for putting their idea out there. After a while, it becomes habit and they will do it in the instant challenges without being reminded as well as in the regular meeting times. :)
  They also learn to talk to each other in a way that helps get more responses from each other.  My team regularly says, "That's one good idea. Are there any others?" or, "Can we consider x, y, z idea?" as a way to introduce ideas without putting your teammate's idea down.  I saw how my new memerbs this year came to these practice challenges and my old team members who had practiced these skills were clearly more diplomatic, helped the entire group work together better and generated more success at the tasks compared than the newer members. So I do think there is something to be said for practicing core values. Not to mention, this is a life skill that can really help people throughout their lives.
Regards,
Brandy