From:
David Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:44:29 -0500
Kudos to Coach John Barrett of the Lake Anne Sea Monsters for taking the
time to push this through and of course to you Phil for showing that FLL
Leadership does indeed listen to opinions here on the listserv.

David Levy
Sterling Judge
Overly Opinionated Coach

Phil Smith III wrote:
> Nope, the checklists were the work of a coach, actually, who did the first one on spec. I think they were great, and hope to use them state-wide!

-- Phil Smith III Virginia State Judge Advisor, 2007, 2008 Judge
Advisor, Northern Virginia Regional tournaments, 2006 Division 1 Judge
Advisor, Virginia State tournament, 2006 Coach, The Capital Girls, Oak
Hill (retired) Team 1900 (2002) Team 2497 (2003) Team 2355 (2004) Team
1945 (2005) -----Original Message----- From: First Lego League
Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael
Blanpied Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 8:17 AM To:
[log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Tournament
Scoring At 11:45 PM -0500 11/23/08, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> >...with absolutely no feedback on the three non-table aspects of
> >FIRST, how is a team to have any idea how they performed?
> >... the effectiveness of any test or competition is to have
> >information whereby you can measure yourself.
> >
> >As it stands now, having experienced two Regionals and one State
> >competition, our team is clueless as to how the judges evaluated our other
> >three presentations.  A simple check sheet based on the Rubics (without a
> >numerical score) would be most helpful.

At the Sterling tournaments, the judges did, in fact, complete an
extensive and detailed one-page check-list of pros and cons. I don't
have those sheets in front of me, but I recall perhaps 20-25
check-boxes under both the pro and con categories, organized by
Rubric area. There was also a space at the bottom for written
comments. The coaches were handed those sheets at the same time the
kids were receiving their participation ribbons, leaving it up to us
when to review the notes and in what way to share them with the kids.

This was far more, and more detailed, feedback than we'd received in
previous years (those times there'd been a quarter-sheet form with
only a few broad-category check-boxes), and we are grateful to those
who composed the forms (was that you, Phil Smith?) and to the judges
for making good use of them. Larry, perhaps you could work with your
regional organizers to introduce such a practice next year.

-- Cheers, Mike Blanpied Reston, VA 2006 #4809 Nano People 2007 #1666
Power Bunnies 2008 #5013 BLT--Brilliant LEGO Team