From:
Stuart & Lori Roll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stuart & Lori Roll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:33:23 -0400
Hmm where to start...

I am guessing that you bought the LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 set from Amazon (LEGO set #8547).  This is the same thing you would find at a LEGO retail store or at lego.com.  It is perfectly usable for FLL use.

There is no Mindstorms set sold by FLL, but most teams I’ve run into have ordered two sets from LEGO Education:  The base robot set and an add-on set.  The base set is roughly comparable to the retail set you have with a couple of differences.  The add-on set simply provides a lot more useful parts to build with.  Most teams find that the basic set doesn’t have enough parts to build the robots they want to build or to build all the attachments.  Many things can be built with basic bricks the kids may have at home (be careful they are LEGO-brand bricks!) but most kids don’t have many of the specialized Technic parts.

The robot is the same, and with one exception the sensors are the same.  The main differences between the retail and the education versions are these:
  a.. Retail has a color/light sensor, education has a light sensor (both are legal)
  b.. The retail set comes with the software, the education set does not (bought separately)
  c.. The education set comes with a rechargeable battery pack, the education set does not (the robot can use batteries or the battery pack)
  d.. The retail set has more curved fairing parts used to make the cool android-looking robot on the box, the education set has more generically useful parts
So don’t sweat that you bought the retail version, but you might want to look into augmenting your parts set down the road.  The LEGO Education sets are great and www.bricklink.com is a useful way to buy specific parts from users all around the world (like e-Bay without the bidding).

Good luck!