VA-DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Oct 2015 00:17:51 -0400
The best advice I have is to relax, and see what happens.  FLL teams are
very creative, and most of the time they are eager to talk about their
project, or robot, or team no matter what else is going on--that's what is
important.

I've been to a lot of tournaments during my time in FLL, and nothing much
is guaranteed in a judging room.  It depends on the location and even the
particular room  There's usually at least one chair and a flat surface for
the team to use, but maybe your team will be in a room where desks are
bolted to the floor and cannot be moved.  Sometimes there are integrated
desk-chair combinations, and your team is expecting a loose  chair without
a writing surface.  Sometimes teams are looking for a specific set of
furniture to use for a project presentation, and have to make do with what
is available.

There's nothing that says that a poster has to be on the floor even if
there isn't a table available.  Give it to your team as a discussion topic,
and let them brainstorm.  Then they'll be more prepared and adaptable to
unexpected situations in the judging room.

On a related topic, have your team review the Project judging rubric and
the Presentation category.  No matter which judges they are speaking with.
can the team be clear and organized, and still be creative and engaging?
That's a challenge that FLL participants sometimes have more skill at than
we adults.

Steve S.