From:
Fredrik Nyman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fredrik Nyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2015 16:53:20 -0400
FLL hasn't disclosed why they made the change.

I'm guessing that they wanted to level the playing field, so to say,
between teams that practice year-round (or otherwise get rolling as
soon as they receive the field setup kit in late July), and teams like
mine that don't get started until school begins in September.

Once you have built the models, you can usually guess where they will
be located and how they function, so if your team builds them and
starts practicing for the expected challenges now, they gain a major
advantage over teams starting a month later.

Particularly here in Virginia, where the season is very short.