From:
Laura Dysart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dysart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:59:42 -0400
our team is back to the nano technology this year- foregoing several
concrete options- isn't nano tech so much more interesting at this
age?- pains me- but what they want to do- only one kid kind totally
understood the tech last year- they all agreed to do last year- and
all participated- we even as a brand new first team did all four
components- if you are going to do it - do it all- the kids will feel
better. My kids didn't have the best innovative solution last year-
but they thought they did- they learned a lot and had fun- do the
research- it doesn't have to be as big a deal as one might make it-
mine worked hard last year but they chose a tough topic (and
apparently plan to again)- and the judges are excessively kind and
make the kids feel good- they might not "win" but they experience a
presentation- they worked hard and they own it.  I also noticed mine
last year got their presentation done in the last 3-4 weeks- the kids
will not leave feeling badly- judges give great positive feedback and
also make suggestions (which are helpful)- I honestly never thought to
"not do the whole thing." It denies the kids the experience and says
you're not ready to "present."  Our project last year although they
put a ton of time into it and was somewhat mediocre per the rubric-
they were proud of it and learned a lot.   they still feel really good
about it- and I shared the judges feedback with them.  Why would some
teams do half of the program- many of us are new! We are second year-
love my kids- but they are once again off on a tough subject- may not
be their strength- maybe they will surprise me- they will learn no
matter what- Laura second year coach