From:
Patrick & Cari Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick & Cari Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:44:32 -0500
Below is an email about volunteering at the Maryland Tournaments.

Cari

To those who have responded to the email below.thanks!!!  For those who haven't.we are still beating the bushes to find experienced judges for the qualifying rounds on 5, 12, and 19 Dec and 9 Jan. In addition to the La Plata round on 5 Jan, another qualifying round is being held in Bowie.so we could really use your help!!  Thanks in advance.

Buck

      Buck Buchanan
      Raytheon Solipsys
      Director, Business Development
      8170 Maple Lawn Blvd, Suite 300
      Fulton, Maryland  20759-2522  USA
      240.554.8204 tel
      240-899-6925 cell
      240-554.8101 fax

      www.solipsys.com

Folks -

As experienced FLL judges, we hope you can volunteer to judge Teamwork again this year.  The big difference for the 2010 FLL competition is we now have qualifying rounds beginning 5 December around the state to neck almost 160 teams down to the 64 who will compete in the MD finals at UMBC on 30 Jan.  For each one of these qualifying rounds (see dates and locations below), we need to supply at least three experienced Teamwork judges to work with the local augmentee judges.

      Loc
     Date
     Location
     Street
     City
     State
     Zip

      1
     Saturday, December 05, 2009
     College of Southern Maryland
     8730 Mitchell Road
     La Plata
     MD
     20646

      2
     Saturday, December 12, 2009
     Northern Garrett High School
      http://sites.google.com/site/garrettqualifier
     86 Pride Parkway
     Accident
     MD
     21520

      3
     Saturday, December 12, 2009
     South River High School
     201 Central Ave East
     Edgewater
     MD
     21037

      4
     Saturday, December 19, 2009
     Owings Mills High School
     124 Tollgate Road
     Owings Mills
     MD
     21117

      5
     Saturday, December 19, 2009
     Digital Harbor High School
     1100 Covington St
     Baltimore
     MD
     21230

      6
     Saturday, December 19, 2009
     Oklahoma Road Middle School
     6300 Oklahoma Road
     Sykesville
     MD
     21784

      7
     Saturday, January 09, 2010
     Salisbury Middle School
     607 Morris Street
     Salisbury
     MD
     21801

      8
     Saturday, January 09, 2010
     Parkville High School
     2600 Putty Hill Ave
     Parkville
     MD
     21234

      9
     Saturday, January 09, 2010
     Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
     11100 Johns Hopkins Road
     Laurel
     MD
     20723

Please let me know ASAP if you can support any of the above qualifying matches as well as the MD state finals.  We are looking for other FLL judge volunteers as well.  So please pass the word to your coworkers, friends, etc., who have a technical background and/or leadership experience. More FLL info and judge sign-up can be found at the MD First site at  http://www.mdfirst.org/MD/index.htm. FLL Judge training is available at ftp://forums.usfirst.org/  Make sure you use Internet explorer for this site.  The username is ftpjudge and the password is ftpJudge (note the capital J in the password).  After you log in, click on "Judges", =>"Smart Move Materials", => download and print the "Judges Handbook + Rubrics".Then click on "Training" and "General Judge Training".  Click on "2009 Judge Training -LoFi.pdf" and read the slides (should only take about 10 minutes for returning judges).  A form should be on the MDFirst website soon for you to certify that you have completed the judge's training.   As you well know, these competitions are fun and exciting, and what FLL teams accomplish is nothing short of amazing.  Most importantly, the skills these kids learn during these competitions will last a lifetime.  Your support as a judge is critical to the success of the MD FLL program.

Hope to hear from you very soon.