From:
David Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2012 15:59:31 -0400
Hi All,

  I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience running multiple
FLL teams. This is my second year as an FLL coach and this year we have
several more students who are interested in joining the team. So much so
that we will either have to make cuts or break into two teams. I've already
gotten a sponsor who is willing to fund the additional cost of a second
team. The other coaches and I have some concerns though about how much
additional time and effort this would be for us. (We know from last year
how much work it is!)

  We are very interested in hearing from anyone who has done this and what
their experience was. Some specific questions:

1. How separate do you need to keep the teams? I'm thinking of having them
in the same (large) room while working on robot missions since they tend to
break into pairs and work independently anyway. This is where most of our
practice time is spent and we, as coaches, just can't spend double the time
so we'd kind of need this part to overlap.

2. How about the research project? This is my biggest concern since I would
think the teams would need to meet separately for this. However, maybe once
they've decided on their separate projects, this is not a big deal. Again,
very interested to know how anyone else has handled this.

I'm personally not too worried about sharing ideas between the teams. I've
had my own kids involved in Odyssey of the Mind before where they make a
big deal out of "Outside Assistance" or "OA". Kids will say "Aw, Dad, I
wish you hadn't said that! Now I can't use that idea." I'm sure my FLL kids
can be just as self conscious.

Any advice or experience you can relate will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-David Lawrence ,  Newport News