Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:42:40 -0500
From:
Steve Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
First Lego League Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
All,
  I am hoping to see some additional clarification from Scott Evans on
this before this weekend's tournaments.
  However, if your team is using this as a delivery technique, consider
advising them that adding a step to back up 1/8 inch at the end would make
the delivery clearly allowable, and probably be easy to do.

  Since the Active Robot Touched rule is new for this year, remember that
previous performance is no guarantee of a future ruling at the table ;-) I
can see it possible for a referee to apply Benefit of the Doubt and Loss
of Contact to leave the object, and I can also see it possible for the
object to come off the field.

Steve

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:18:44 -0500, Swayne, Nick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>What if the robot delivers the bike/laptop/insulation and stops?  That
would make the robot inactive.  The kids could retrieve the robot.  So
long as the scoring items are not attached and remain in a scoring
position they should get points - and lose a levy as a penalty.

>I've seen some teams who would rather take the penalty point deduction
than waste time letting the robot drive back to base.  Even though I don't
agree with the technique, I don't think the rules prohibit it - they just
assess penalty points against them for the method.

when the robot or objects are
>touched, then it is still in contact with them (see Loss of Contact rule)
>
>The Active Robot Touched rule, and Q&A Ruling 32 make it clear that the
blocks would either be
>removed from the field (if they contacted the robot out of Base), or
returned to Base (if they have
>been in continuous contact with the robot since it was started).
>
>Under this year's rules, no movable object in contact with an active
robot when it is touched will
>stay in place on the field.
>
>Steve
>
>On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:52:42 -0500, Swayne, Nick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>Mark,
>>
>>I don't think this is the intent of the rule - but I am not a lawyer.
>>
>>If the robot does something (like collect the carbon balls) and gets
stuck or stops on the field -
>if the robot is touched and returned to base - those things it had
already collected are removed
>from play and the team gets a penalty.
>>
>>If the insulation blocks are in contact with the mat and were simply
pushed out - then the robot
>stops and is retrieved by hand - there should be a penalty but the yellow
blocks would remain on
>the table.

[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
>Mark FLL Allen
>>Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:27 AM
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] active touch rule
>>
>>See the answers as I understand the rules below.  One other scenario:
>>
>>Robot delivers insulation to scoring area but the robot is touched while
still in contact.  As I
>understand it there are actually two answers;
>>
>>1) Robot contacted the object on the field and moved it to the scoring
area.  The object(s) are
>removed by the ref and are out of play.
>>2) Robot previously brought those objects back to base.  If so, those
objects are returned to
>base.
>>
>>Does every one agree?
>>
>>Best regards,