From:
"Swayne, Nick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Swayne, Nick
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 14:56:05 -0400
Laura/Danielle,

This is really supposed to be fun for all.  Don't dread the robot!

You'll see a lot of new teams at all 18 of the regional competitions.  There are more than 350 teams currently in the system and I'd guess half of them are new to FLL.

The fact that there are 4 components to the tournament really levels the playing field for those who have never built robots before. Lots of rookie teams build robots that look almost exactly like the tri-bot in the instruction book and do just fine at the competition.  Some actually win because they concentrate on the teamwork and research which account for 50% of the total.  If the kids can explain their experience level, design and programming well - they'll do fine there as well.

Also - if your robot holds the crash test figure for the entire 2.5 minutes and you don't knock over any of the penalty pieces, you'll end up with 95 points.