Sender:
From:
VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:15:44 -0400
As cold weather approaches, and we get ready to meet in large groups,
it's good to remember that keeping hands clean through improved hand
hygiene is one of the most important steps we can take to avoid
getting sick and spreading germs to others. (see CDC.gov).  Although
you might not be able to clean all the germs off your hands, you will
benefit by removing as many as you can.

Washing hands is a good way to "clean up" in the Food Factor Robot Game, too.

Once your team has figures out which missions your robot can
accomplish, it might be worth re-reading Update 6.  If your robot has
brought bacteria to Base (maybe those green ones?) and you haven't
used up the 2 1/2 minutes of the match, your team might want to take
the time to try Load Bacterium, Out, Drop, Return a few times.  Just
because it's probably impossible to deliver all the bacteria to the
sink, doesn't mean that your score won't benefit by sending as many as
you can.

The Game Designer (Scott) put the Hand Wash/Bacterial mission in for
two reasons:  (1) to challenge high scoring teams to be as efficient
as possible, but also (2) to give teams that aren't ready to attempt
very many missions something worthwhile that they can do to improve
the their score, too.

I am hoping to see most teams deliver a few bacteria to the sink
during our upcoming tournaments, because I know we'll see quite a
variety of creative ideas and methods, and that is lots of fun for the
referees!

Steve Scherr
Your VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor