From:
Glenn Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 20:51:40 -0500
Kids do have natural preferences, some mostly like to build stuff and some
are more naturally attracted to the programming.  I tried to expose all of
them to everything but tried to form sub-groups with a good cross section.
We were fortunate to have two complete robots to work with so we could split
into two sub-teams, each working different missions.

For the competition: the team gets to go up to the table a total of 4 times
(one practice and three scoring rounds).  I recommend each team member be
allowed up at the table at least once if possible because that's really
where the excitement is.  In our case we have 8 boys so they'll all get a
shot at the table (2 are allowed up each time).  For the competition I'll
probably draw straws to see which pairs get to go up to the table during
which rounds (the first one is just a practice so it doesn't count).   While
you perhaps could improve your score by picking just one set of team members
to always run the robot, that goes against a lot of what FLL is all about.

During our practice rounds in our working sessions I let them up at our
table in rotating pairs (with two other team members playing timer and ref
respectively) so they all get comfortable with setting up and running the
robot.

Glenn